Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I already love the Brits

As I suspected, the end of the trip in Ireland was the best part. We took a 25 euro tour into the country to see Wicklow county and it was nauseatingly beatiful, like something out of a movie. in fact, we did see two spots where Braveheart and another movie were filmed.
We found out when leaving for the tour that the convent next to our hostel housed the remains of St. Valentine, and that was pretty cool. The tour leader told the 16 passengers all about the city until we got out of the limits. We reached the countryside and saw an amazing overlook of Dublin, Loch Kay (gorgeous, and a billionaire owns it as well as the land around it), the bogs, a couple waterfalls, an old ruined Medieval monastic town, and tons of sheep peppering the landscape (or, as noted by Megan, 'salting' the landscape because they are white).
At the medieval town I tested an old legend by stretching my arms all the way around a 1,000 year old Celtic cross and because I could touch my fingers together I was allowed a wish. The Irish countryside was absolutely incredible and totally worth what we paid for it. Plus our tourguide was fun to listen to because of his strong Irish accent.

We arrived in London last night at 11pm. It made a good first impression and hopefully will continue in that manner. I've already leaned to speak some British from some people on the plane. There was a British man (who smelled a little like vodka) who called a friend to pick him up when the plane landed and proceeded to curse wildly at the person who refused. It was like that all the way onto the tarmac, and as we were exiting the plane a stewardess said, 'He's on the line with the mrs. and she's giving him some grief down the pipe!'
We thought it was so funny we repeated it all night... but then, we were pretty tired.

We finally got into the hostel at 2:30 in the morning, and Megan and I had to make our beds in the dark on top bunks while our 4 stranger roommates slept (we couldnt all get one room together because Taste of London and Wimbledon are going on. Dave Matthews is also here, although I'm not sure we can blame him for crowded hostels). Today we are going to do the first leg of our London sightseeing, and I'll let you know how it goes!

And, as promised, I'll leave you with an out-of-context Megan quote:
'Do you know what would make this perfect?'
'What?'
'Butterflies!'

No comments:

Post a Comment