Thursday, August 27, 2009

Copenhagen at last

I had been looking forward to Copenhagen for about 2 years now, ever since I first learned anything about it. It is the only city we visited in Scandanavia, the region that I really really REALLY want to travel. They have the best design there and seem like really cool people. Unfortunately, Copenhagen turned out to be the most expensive city we've been to, including London. It was gorgeous there, though, and we had a view of the river through the window of our hostel.

One of my favorite things about the city was the biking there. I'm pretty sure there are more bikes than cars in Copenhagen and they have an awesome system worked out where the cars, bikes, and pedestrians each have a different level of paved surface so nobody has to worry about being mowed down by something bigger & faster than themselves. We went on a canal tour and saw the main sights of the city, and it was cold enough to wear jeans and a scarf! It really put me in the mood for a Cincinnati Fall.

One night we went to the Ice Bar, a bar where everything but the bottles is made out of ice. The bar itself, the walls, the seats, and the glasses are all solid ice, which makes for a pretty fun experience. At the door they give you a giant furry poncho, gloves, and boots so you dont freeze to death. The place is too expensive to do anything but just stand there, but we had a ton of fun anyway.

Another night we went to Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen's amusement park. That, too was too expensive to do anything, but we got to see the pretty lights at nighttime and it was fun just to walk around.

I loved Copenhagen... my one regret was that I forgot to try a Danish in Denmark : (

No comments:

Post a Comment